A little bit of everything called life...

A little bit of everything called life....

Sunday, September 16, 2012

GaGa for Guava!

During my trip to the farmer's market on Friday, I came across something exotic! Guava! We get these in Puerto Rico a dime a dozen but I was so happy to see them at my local market! Tonight I prepared my kiddos a delicious treat for their Monday morning. My kids are big fans of guava and enjoy it during our trips to Puerto Rico when we visit family.  If you come across guavas at your local store, don't hesitate to give them a try! They are full of flavor and not to mention high in vitamins, A,B,C and beta carotene! Here is the recipe I used in my vitamix. You can use a juicer or a blender as well.

                     GUAVA-BERRY JUICE

                      1 guava cut in half
                      8 frozen strawberries (you can use fresh)
                      1 prickly pear cut in half (feel free to exclude if you don't have on hand)
                      1 handful of kale

Directions:

       Place all ingredients in the vitamix or blender and blend until smooth liquid. Add ice to avoid overheating if necessary. I use all the peels and seeds! The vitamix is a great machine to process it.  If you are using a juicer with a speed selector, juice the fruit on a 2 or 3.  You can juice the kale at the same time as the guava or prickly pear. "Sandwich" the kale in between the 2 halves of the pear or guava to extract the most juice.  The softer the fruit, the lower the speed. Save the pulp and use it in popsicles later on or in a smoothie recipe!


1 comment: